nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bill's choices, Actinidia kolomicta

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bill's choices, Actinidia kolomicta
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 00:09:56 -0500 (EST)

I was thinking of a high north wall, as of a house. I suspect that a white wall would be best.

I have *read* that A. kolomikta will fruit in part shade, such as when grown up a not too densely leafy tree, and even prefers a little shade
(I think this may have come from the Canadian prairies, which usually get a fair amount of sun, more than southern Ontario).

I recollect Robert Nitschke's statement that English Morello (sour cherry)
grown on a north wall gave fruits "of a size and quality unobtainable in full sun." He didn't say whether it gave as many fruits. I would be inclined to doubt it.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada