nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ribes aureum selections

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ribes aureum selections
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 18:08:07 -0600

I have seen Ribes aureum growing in the woods. I ran across two named
selections of this species called Gwens golden currant and Idaho golden
currant. The wild ones I have seen are orange-fruited. These selections are
dark blue.

I don't know anything about these cultivars, but I have seen that Ribes odoratum is sometimes considered to be just a variety of Ribes aureum. The common named selection of this plant is the 'Crandall' cultivar. I've seen it called a clove currant, buffalo currant, golden currant, Missouri currant, and just Crandall black currant.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)

--
I had a lovely evening. Unfortunately, this wasn't it. - Groucho Marx