nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blackcurrant (was aronia)

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blackcurrant (was aronia)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 01:20:58 -0800

Where did this bland, intolerant, timid American palate come from? We're
nearly all the children of immigrants, and most of us have some assertively
flavored foods in our culinary heritage. Have we been too busy to cook as
adults, and never allowed our tastes to flourish? Were we so spoiled by the
volume of food available that we've been able to turn up our noses at
anything vaguely challenging? A site I read has been hosting a discussion,
begun by an Englishman, of why Americans don't like good cheese. Well, many
of us do - but the most popular variety here is 'pre-shredded'. Large food
and ag companies want to mass produce foods that will be appreciated by a
large customer base. We're not a small-producer economy. The
one-size-less-likely-to-be-rejected-by-most is the
one-size-available-for-all.

Black currant lost its popularity in the US when its growth was banned for
fear of it spreading White Pine Blister Rust. Some states have lifted the
ban, and it seems to be making a deserved comeback. It's one of my favorite
flavors.

~ Stephen