nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What to plant under Red Pine

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What to plant under Red Pine
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:49:08 -0500 (EST)

I understand that Actinidia kolomikta, one of the hardy kiwis, is
somewhat shade tolerant. It is said to be cold-hardy to Agriculture
Canada zone 4, much the same as USDA zone 4.

About grape size, very high in vitamin C (around 300 mg/100 g if I
recall rightly), pleasant flavour. They are supposed to be fairly
easy to grow. A friend who has experience with them considers
them suitable for organic methods.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada