nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What to plant under Red Pine

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What to plant under Red Pine
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:13:16 -0500

Actually, I have a currant in the shade, and while it doesn't produce as much as it's better-lit cousins, it does fruit. On the other hand, I have lots of wild blueberries in the shade, and they rarely produce a single berry. This year some of them got more sun due to a neighbor cutting down his woods, and plants that hadn't fruited in 10 years bloomed and fruited. Blueberries will survive for years in the shade, however, and they like the sort of soil you find under pine trees (usually acid) so that might be an okay ground cover.

Ginda