nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple pressing

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple pressing
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:11:10 -0400

A 16:06 06.10.25 -0700, vous avez écrit :

>Anyway, my (dumb) question: as I fantasize about the Lehmans's cider
>press and read how you just drop the apples in whole, I wonder about
>bug damage - a good percent of these apples have black stuff
>presumably from bugs, just at the cores, easy to cut out for drying...
>I can only imagine you need to cut this out for cider too?

Lisa,
I don't think you should bother about worms and scab...

Scab will only improve the quality of your juice by concentrating sugars
acids and flavours (by removing water).
Worms will stay with the pomace - they only have eaten apple anyway, so
they are essentially apples...

The only thing I remove is when an apple is really rotten, or if it has
fallen on the ground, then you need to be more careful.

Claude
in Quebec