nafex - [NAFEX] Summer Pruning Peaches (was plums)

  • From: "Dylan Ford" <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
  • To: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Summer Pruning Peaches (was plums)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:34:16 -0400

Dear Dennis, A belated thank you for this advice and detailed explanation. I
have retained your answer with this new title so it will be findable in the
archives. By the way, I always forget to indicate my Zone, Long Island Z
6-7. Again, Thanks. dylan

From: "Dennis Norton"
> Dylan,
>
> It is best to summer prune your peach trees in June/July (depending on
your
> zone). They heal much faster and are not as prone to disease when they
heal
> faster. I do my heavy pruning (branches that are greater than 3/4" in
July
> and as of 8/21 most had almost healed over completely. Approximately 390
> accumulated degree-days (base=0 c) are required for complete wound
healing.
> In general, any practice which promotes tree health encourages more rapid
> healing. If you prune too late in the summer and there is not sufficient
> enough time for the wounds to heal before fall, the trees will be much
more
> susceptible to winter damage and diseases. I would wait now until next
> spring. Remember that if you prune too much wood you may not get a good
> crop of peaches because this year's peaches come from last year's wood.
If
> you still want to have some peaches for 2007, I would do a slightly
heavier
> pruning in early April (Depending on what zone you are in; I am in 5a and
do
> mine in early April), then do another heavier pruning in late June or
early
> July (again, depending on what zone you are in). If you don't mind not
> getting many peaches in 2007, then after you have accumulated 390+ Degree
> Days, do you heavy pruning at that time.

Dylan Ford is the author of the proposal at www.ideaforpresident.com , a
website devoted to an idea that could provide an avenue to address pollution
issues, food safety, social justice, prison reform and healthcare.