nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peaches

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peaches
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:47:29 -0700

It's entirely subjective, of course. I find ice wines and botrytis wines to
have a complexity that contrasts with the sweetness. Think, perhaps, more
like a jam vs. a spoonful of sugar. The peach wines had no complexity to
justify their sweetness. Sad, because peaches themselves have a lot of
luscious flavor notes.

Many of the other wines I had tasted were delightful. I am not at all
surprised that other areas produce fine fruit wines, including wines
superior to anything here. And there are certainly people who would have
liked the wines I gave poor reviews to. Never let a review override your
own tastes and preferences. For instance, I like Chiantis and Riojas. For
my palate, I would add maybe 10 points to most reviews of those.

I had limited my review of peach wines to the few north and central
California produced wines. They may well be very good now, and I wouldn't
be surprised at all to find good ones elsewhere, like the Niagara region.
After your recommendation, I would expect to find good ones!

Sweetness, not a problem. I have some terrific Ports, for example. Sweet
and flat though, in the case of those particular wines, not so pleasant.

Cheers,
Stephen