nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plums

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plums
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:14:27 -0500

Dylan,

It is best to summer prune your peach trees in June/July (depending on your zone). They heal much faster and are not as prone to disease when they heal faster. I do my heavy pruning (branches that are greater than 3/4" in July and as of 8/21 most had almost healed over completely. Approximately 390 accumulated degree-days (base=0 c) are required for complete wound healing. In general, any practice which promotes tree health encourages more rapid healing. If you prune too late in the summer and there is not sufficient enough time for the wounds to heal before fall, the trees will be much more susceptible to winter damage and diseases. I would wait now until next spring. Remember that if you prune too much wood you may not get a good crop of peaches because this year's peaches come from last year's wood. If you still want to have some peaches for 2007, I would do a slightly heavier pruning in early April (Depending on what zone you are in; I am in 5a and do mine in early April), then do another heavier pruning in late June or early July (again, depending on what zone you are in). If you don't mind not getting many peaches in 2007, then after you have accumulated 390+ Degree Days, do you heavy pruning at that time.

Now, for plums...we grow Stanley here and will be harvesting in another couple of weeks. We have about 12 trees and all will have a good crop this year. They came from Stark Bros. and are about 10-12 years old. They have been bearing fruit since 3rd leaf . They aren't a fancy variety, but we always have plums and our customers rave about them. They make great prunes and a great jam, so we decided to stick with what works for us and planted about 20 more trees in 2005. Unfortunately we planted them on some of our new land that wasn't fenced yet and the deer loved them too. No more Stanley plums...the deer got everyone of the new trees. Too bad they never got to fruit....at least that would have given the deer something to tell their friends about!!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dylan Ford" <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us>