nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plums

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plums
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:24:03 -0700

Do you have room for two plums?  Some varieties absolutely require cross pollination, others do better with it, and others will do just fine without.  If you plant two, you can plant one for preserves and one for fresh eating.  Otherwise, you’ll just have to harvest less ripe plums for your jam.  I’m partial to prune type plums, for their sweetness and firmness.  I’ve only lived in zones 7a through 9b, so nut much help with Z5/6.  My prunes did extremely will in Z7.  The size was manageable, too.  But I’ve read that as conditions become more extreme, American plums will do better.

I’m sure we have list members who will be more help, just tossing in my 2 cents.

Stephen