nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [permaculture] heritage peach tree preservation

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [permaculture] heritage peach tree preservation
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:11:29 -0500

It sounds to me like the rootstock is what needs preserving not the tops. You commented that the trees were over 100 years old and that is very old for a peach tree, and it may be due to the rootstock. The rootstock variety may not even have good fruit but if it will cause peach trees to live longer then it would be good for just that -a peach rootstock. There is no question that we need a longer living peach tree rootstock.
So if you are going to preserve the rootstock then there is but two ways that I know of to do that if you do not own the land but have permission to try to retrieve some rootstock material. As others have said dig up some roots and replant them. Also, if a tree has put out shots around the base of the tree coming from below ground then you may be able to sever some shoots with a little root attached.
Once you have the material established on your own property and it has grown into a small tree, then you will be able to take budwood or force shoots for distribution.
Let us know how you come along with your project.
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard