nafex - Re: [NAFEX] heritage peach tree preservation

  • From: "oliver smith callis" <oliversmithcallis@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] heritage peach tree preservation
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:28:46 -0600

Thanks for the replies & suggestions. I should have clarified I do not own or control the property (which is at risk of being developed) and am limited to propagation strategies to preserve this rootstock & variety. For the rootstock- I though I might dig up one of the roots and expose part of it above ground, protect it with a milk carton with the bottom cut off (staked to the ground), add some fertilizer and see if I can't get it to sprout. Then sever the root from the tree and replant it. Does this seem feasible? Also, what if I took root cuttings, dipped them in rooting hormone and left them in a rooting medium-vermiculite type mixture...
Much appreciated,
Oliver