nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [permaculture] heritage peach tree preservation

  • From: "oliver smith callis" <oliversmithcallis@gmail.com>
  • To: dwoodard@becon.org, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [permaculture] heritage peach tree preservation
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:49:37 -0600

Doug,
that sounds right. From the story I heard, it sounded like the tree was a clonal sapling rather than a seedling. The person who brought the cultivar was emigrating here, and was told to bring fruit trees with her as this area of Utah was at that time found to be good for growing fruit. This is a fairly common story in Utah County as the homesteaders here came with the "Mormon exodus". Resultedly there is an interesting array of fruit brought from different parts of Europe here. However almost all of the old orchards are now being developed into suburban subdivisions and my hope is to preserve as many of the remaining old trees as possible. The soil here is alkaline and the climate is semi-arid (14" precip.), the USDA zone is 5-6.
Thanks,
Oliver