nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [permaculture] heritage peach tree preservation

  • From: "oliver smith callis" <oliversmithcallis@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: dwoodard@becon.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [permaculture] heritage peach tree preservation
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:59:16 -0600

Doug,
thanks for your input. According to the person I talked to, who manages an orchard adjacent to the property where these peach trees are, and who is the grandson of the man who planted them, the variety was bud grafted onto this French cultivar. It sounded like it was brought over as a sapling, probably wrapped in burlap. The trees were well taken care of up until the last decade or so, and he is certain that they were planted between 1875 and 1895.
Thanks,
Oliver