nafex - [NAFEX] grocery store peaches and nectarines

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grocery store peaches and nectarines
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:29:50 -0500

 > That means at
the first sign of that yellowish/red tint, they are ready to pick to be
shipped.

I think this is part of the problem in that since the public associates 'redness' with
'ripeness' all the newest peaches and nectarines are being selected for being redder
and redder.  So I think the peaches/nectarines are being picked even earlier than
they used to as they are now 'probably' redder sooner.

Years ago, on one of our local news stations, they used to have a segment with
"Joe Garagiola (I know I murdered the spelling here), the green grocer".  He was
a retired fruit stand owner who gave produce advice.  He once said that if you
looked at a peach and the redness extended to where it met the stem, the peach
could be home ripened (I won't say to near the equivalent of tree ripened, but it
would at least be edible rather than going from green to rotten).  I believe
this was true -- for older varieties.  I think the newer varieties are so red, that
you can't use this criteria anymore.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W