nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries ripe?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries ripe?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:18:03 -0500

At 01:01 PM 6/12/2005, Ed wrote:
Re Pixwell:

Should be named "grows well", the berries are a bit easier to pick than most gooseberries but the quality is not very good.They are better than no gooseberries at all. My feeling is that they almost have to be picked under-ripe. If they are fully ripe they are just sweet mush, there is no character to the flavor if they are ripe. I pick Pixwell (if I pick them at all) when they are just turning color, they are a bit tart but make pretty good pie, jam and wine at that stage.
I'll agree with everything Ed wrote.  Pixwell 'ain't much punkin'', but it is one that will grow well and produce berries for me, in full sun in my hot zone 6.  I killed several of the better cultivars when I was first starting out, by putting 'em in full sun.  They just couldn't handle it here.  Pixwell took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.
One of these days, I'll probably go back and try growing some GOOD gooseberries.

Lucky