nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries ripe?

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries ripe?
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:55:35 -0400

Hello,

Aren't gooseberries picked a little green for tartness? I have had fully ripe gooseberries and they were very bland.

Possibly there is an expert out there.

Tom

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:27:26 -0700 (PDT), Deb Schneider <debs@yahoo.com> wrote:

My two year old gooseberry bushes have set a good bit of fruit, but it does not seem to be ripening. The berries remain hard and green. The varieties that have fruit are Poorman's and Pixwell. Any idea how long it takes for the fruit to ripen, what conditions are needed for ripening, or if I might have something lacking in the environment? Thanks.

Deb Schneider Zone 5b