nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Surround Alternatives

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Surround Alternatives
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:52:48 -0700

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of rigorous studies being done on organic
pest control. Surround has been shown to be relatively effective in
curculio control. Neem and nematodes have some anecdotal support.

I divide controls into proven, unproven, and disproven. When the results of
the proven controls are lacking, I'll try unproven (not yet
proven/disproven) controls that have some anecdotal support, starting with
the least expensive. I don't recommend such things as effective, just as an
"I would try this in my own garden, you might want to in yours." I would
only recommend barrier methods as effective, but in my own garden I'll try
things just to see how they seem to work. I'm in favor of the personal
small scale experiment, provided the experimenter has not been misled into
expecting certain results.

I've looked at studies of plantings of dwarf/miniature trees covered with
fabric barriers (large sheets of row cover material). Even with that, there
is quite a bit of damage, and the cost can be prohibitive.

I agree with you, actually on all your points, but particularly that I would
not expect quick control with Neem; however, if it is able to interrupt the
life cycle of the generation of pests via any modality, one would hope it
would weaken and reduce the population, and a weakened and reduced
population would be better controlled by barriers.

Neem might be a longshot in your case, with so many host plants in your
woods; and surround lacks aesthetic appeal. My 'solution' of living in
California is working pretty well, but it may be the highest cost option
yet...

Stephen