nafex - [NAFEX] PC

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] PC
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:05:18 +0000

I have read a couple articles on PC life cycle recently and while fresh in my mind thought this might help this discussion, however, I wouldn't take it word for word as my sources were not clear on a few points, those in bold italics
Expanding apples is what can kill the PC (but it may do some significant damage before this happens. Their crawling around in the right places can cause the fruit to abort. It is to their benefit with apple, [if the apple doesn't become a “June drop”], to cause the fruit to abort and therefore stop expanding, )
Eggs are positioned right under crescent mark you see on the fruit, they hatch in 7 days, they crawl around in the fruit for 10 to 16 days, if they are successful burrowers, the fruit aborts, then they fall to the ground (without the fruit if it doesn't abort if they aren't crushed) and pupate and then emerge 10- 12 days later as adults. So new adults can once again be a problem in July and last until early September.

Personal experience:
I had a PC mark on a very valuable apple, I believe I discovered this before the 7 day period before the egg hatched, and therefore I made a cut under the crescent mark and removed about 1/8” of apple, hoping to get the egg. I then covered the cut with parafilm. I have yet to find out if the fruit will be ok.

Kevin B

PS this forum doesn't let me post messages except from my hotmail account, which I have to open in a new window, so I don't always remember the subject line.

  • [NAFEX] PC, Ed Forest, 06/09/2005