nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Oh, deer

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Oh, deer
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:59:04 -0700

When I lived in deer country, I had no success with chemical deer
repellants. Doesn't mean they haven't worked for others. I had an 8 foot
fence around the (huge mini-farm-type) garden area, and trees just inside
that perimeter which made it harder to jump. Since the deer were, of
course, attracted to the garden, I planted clover - which these deer were
crazy for - outside the fence near the garden entrance. It was a
carrot-and-stick strategy: the fence was difficult to jump, and the clover
was free for the taking. I had unprotected figs, plums, peaches, and
grapes, which the deer left alone.

Based on my experience, I do recommend perhaps planting some favorite deer
food for them as part of your strategy.

We usually had three deer on the property - not always the same ones, as the
neighbors tended to shoot the buck - and we named them Frank Buck, Jane Doe,
and John Deer, of course.

The does and fawns would sometimes come in the garden through the left-open
gate, staying just a few feet away behind any tall cover - corn, filberts -
watching me garden. They never made a dent in garden or orchard production
inside or outside the fenced area. I know they ate some things - but never
enough to notice, not with their clover-filled bellies.

Stephen