nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Oh, deer

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Oh, deer
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:18:19 -0500

Hi there,
Many friends of mine swear by Downy dryer sheets pinned to the branches. I was
skeptical of this until I saw a friends' home orchard: their trees are way
back
away from their house in another field, really along with their garden and
this
is definitely deer country. They have had no deer damage while using these
sheets, and this is without fencing of any kind. These trees are young 1-5
years,
so I do not know if the presence of lots o'fruit would draw the deer in
numbers
where damage would be a problem. I also assume eventually the deer get used to
the scent, but I don't yet know...
Heron Breen
zone 4 Maine