nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plantskydd - Deer Repellent

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plantskydd - Deer Repellent
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:37:59 -0400

Paul,

I have used Plantskydd with great success. While the smell does linger for a day or two, the effects on repelling deer was remarkable and it was effective for months. We sprayed on the trees and around the perimeter of the orchard, as well. There wasn't single nibble and my trees sailed through the fall untouched, unlike the previous year where we lost an entire year's growth on about half the trees. I'll be applying to our orchard in the next week, with a follow-up application or two, summer and early autumn. A few words of advice - if you use the powdered form, start with a small amount of water and powder - to make a paste. Rather like when you make gravy. Then add in water and powder, alternating, until you get the amount you need. If you add water to the entire amount, it lumps up like crazy and also goes quite frothy. The paste way takes a bit of stirring, but saves you from having to deal with lumps. Also, rinse out your sprayer really well, since the smell of dried blood attracts the flies. ( Think Alfred Hitchcock.) They also have a liquid form, which makes things easier, but it depends on what quantity you need.

Cheers, Bizmark. Creemore, Ontario. Zone 5

Does anybody have any experience using chemical deer repellents (e.g.
brands Liquid Fence, Tree Guard, Deer-Away, Deer-Off, Plantskydd, Plant
Pro-Tec sticks etc.) for apple/pear/plum trees? I'm in the Shenandoah
Valley of Virginia.
thanks,
Paul

Paul R. Cabe, PhD