nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Apple pollination

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Apple pollination
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:57:15 -0700

Not just the East; most places, most apples will pollinate most others...
you can see that on the pollination charts - many open boxes for
pollination-compatible varieties, and a few marked 'X' for triploids, poor
pollinators, and the rare pair of apples that are just out of sync.

I've never had apple pollination problems, nor seen it, even with one tree -
not in any area where apples are commonly and fairly densely grown.

Plums are another matter; I've had some with good pollinators nearby which
become so exuberant with fruit that the fruit color dominates the tree, and
suddenly midsummer the trees are autumnal in yellow or purple. Then there's
the plum on this new property - it picked a day to flower (seemed 10
minutes), and as no other local plums picked that particular day, and the
bees were cold and sleepy, this tree may never fruit. I had another yard
with many densely cropping European plums, but the lone Japanese plum
produced one fruit in ten years...

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate