nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Japanese beetles, DDT?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Joanie G <naturalistandherbalist@gmail.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Japanese beetles, DDT?
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:21:30 -0500

My uncle still has a stash of DDT, and used a lot of it a couple of years ago when a tree failed to thrive, and he suspected some ground insect.

On Mar 8, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Joanie G wrote:

I picked apples in New Hampshire until 1987, when my second child was born, at a small family owned orchard where the owner was STILL using up his stash of DDT.  When he made that confession to me I figured it was time to quit (I was well into my thirties), though I had spent perhaps a dozen years picking at that particular orchard.

Joanie in MiddleMass.

<x-tad-bigger>Yes, it has.  I wasn’t saying that my childhood didn’t occur well before 1972… ;-)</x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger>The problems with DDT linger, of course.</x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>

DDT use has been banned in the USA since 1972;