nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Japanese beetles, DDT?

  • From: "Joanie G" <naturalistandherbalist@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Japanese beetles, DDT?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:44:41 -0500

I picked apples in New Hampshire until 1987, when my second child was born, at a small family owned orchard where the owner was STILL using up his stash of DDT.  When he made that confession to me I figured it was time to quit (I was well into my thirties), though I had spent perhaps a dozen years picking at that particular orchard.

Joanie in MiddleMass.

Yes, it has.  I wasn’t saying that my childhood didn’t occur well before 1972… ;-)

The problems with DDT linger, of course.

DDT use has been banned in the USA since 1972;