nafex - RE: [NAFEX] mulberry .........

  • From: "Naomi" <dragon-star@cableone.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] mulberry .........
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:22:47 -0700

Back in the Dark Ages, when I was a child in Louisville Kentucky, my sister
and I knew the relative quality of every mulberry tree within a mile of our
house provided we did not have to cross Bardstown or Taylorsville Road to
get to it. There was considerable variation. The best had inch long
berried and was on the far side of the block across the street. Also in the
running was the one behind Sarah Kasden's house and the one at the Kentucky
homeschool. The one behind the Episcopal Church was puny. The one on the
corner of Valletta was white and kind of strange. They needed to be dried
to taste good and then they were like candy with a shiny crystal shell. The
one in front of the Reynolds's place was trimmed to high and while good
sized was not as good as other fruit. There was one tree in a backyard on
the way to Kennesset Israel synagogue that had two inch fruit that was
really good. But it was off our usual run so we did not know when it was
ready.
Naomi