nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Qu - frozen currants

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Qu - frozen currants
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:55:50 -0500

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 09:17:41 -0800, you wrote:

>The mention of frozen currants to add to later fruits for a pectin
>source reminded me of something that has puzzled me.
>
>I was in England in February, at a cafeteria in a botanic garden,
>where all the bowls of custard were decorated with sprigs of red
>currants, all still on the stems, and looking fresh. I should have
>asked how they did it, but didn't, and it has puzzled me ever since.
>I'm sure they hadn't flown them in from the Southern Hemisphere, as
>this was not a high-priced restaurant. Could they have frozen them
>so that they retained their just-picked look?

A lot of the UK's fruit and vegetables are imported from
Spain, Israel, and similar warm (but not Southern
Hemisphere) areas - north Africa probably too. Imported
fruit and veggies are normally seen in regular supermarkets
and bought by average (non-rich) people.

So I think it might have been imported, even if the
restaurant was not high-priced.

(My husband is English and I've been there twice for long
visits, staying with friends and family, and we shopped in
several supermarkets.)

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.