nafex - [NAFEX] Container peach?

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Container peach?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:23:06 -0500

Hello,

Is it possible to grow peach in containers, and get any fruit?

I am not talking bumper crop, but enough to make it worthwhile.

Winters have been odd of late in southwest Ontario with a couple of weeks of -25C in January that is really hard on the in-ground peaches.

I was thinking of growing one in a 30 gallon container, and moving it in and out of an unheated garage seasonally.

I do this with young, newly grafted pome fruit but eventally it goes into the ground.

Would peach be productive at all living in a container?

The only problem I have encountered with the unheated garage is that it warms up earlier, and plants break dormancy too soon. Possibly I should be moving them outside earlier, but I worry about the freeze thaw cycle in small pots. With a 30 gallon container, that may not be an issue.

Thanks,
Tom
--