nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Container peach?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Container peach?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:42:45 -0500

On Jan 16, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Pat Meadows wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:23:06 -0500, you wrote:

Hello,

. . .I was thinking of growing one in a 30 gallon container, and moving it in
and out of an unheated garage seasonally.

I know that people do this, or - for instance - put fig
trees in an unheated garage. But I don't understand *why*
it would help (except, maybe, to remove the trees from
wind).

Surely an unheated garage is as cold as the outdoors?

After two or three days when the high is only around 0 F and
the lows at night are in the minus double-digits numbers, I
can't see how an unheated garage would stay warmer than
outdoors. ??

Pat

"Unheated garage" means different things to different people. My parent's garage is unheated, but it's attached to the heated house, and there's some heat leakage, so the garage is a little warmer than outside. I call mine a heated garage, since some of the heating system runs into it (although those parts have been insulated). But it's not kept "warm", and some might call it unheated.

Even if you have an unheated detached garage, it is insulated from the wind, and if you put your warm car into it every night, I bet it stays warmer than the outdoors. Even with no heat source, just protecting an area from radiation to the open sky can make a difference of a couple of degrees. And the temperature would change more slowly, which can make a difference.

I guess it all depends on how "unheated" and how many degrees of protection the plants need. Peaches are fairly cold-hardy, and Tom's climate (IIRC) isn't much colder than mine, where a rooted peach would be okay outdoors, so his peaches will probably do fine in the garage.

Ginda

p.s. I have a friend who had a potted peach for years. I'll ask her if it fruited.