nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Container peach?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Container peach?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:48:24 -0500

On Jan 16, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

Hello,

Is it possible to grow peach in containers, and get any fruit?

I am not talking bumper crop, but enough to make it worthwhile.

. . .

I have a friend who grew a miniature peach and a miniature nectarine in large pots for several years. She gave them minimal care, and they eventually died in a very cold winter. She says she got 3-4 fruits from each plant each year, but that animals always got the fruit before it was ripe enough for her to eat it. "But it looked good."

So yes, it's possible. You might get more fruit if you fertilized and watered more than my friend - and if you can protect the crop from the animals.

(That's one reason I've given up on trying dwarf apples & such - too hard to keep the animals off.)

Ginda