nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Container peach?

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Container peach?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:13:27 -0500

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:23:06 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Is it possible to grow peach in containers, and get any fruit?
>
>I am not talking bumper crop, but enough to make it worthwhile.
>
>Winters have been odd of late in southwest Ontario with a couple of weeks
>of -25C in January that is really hard on the in-ground peaches.
>
>I was thinking of growing one in a 30 gallon container, and moving it in
>and out of an unheated garage seasonally.

I know that people do this, or - for instance - put fig
trees in an unheated garage. But I don't understand *why*
it would help (except, maybe, to remove the trees from
wind).

Surely an unheated garage is as cold as the outdoors?

After two or three days when the high is only around 0 F and
the lows at night are in the minus double-digits numbers, I
can't see how an unheated garage would stay warmer than
outdoors. ??

Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.