nafex - [NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?

  • From: "Ned and Faye Rahn" <plantfolks@charter.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:14:04 -0400

I have had luck keeping the birds away from my muscadines using flash tap purchased from Orchard Valley Supply. http://orchardvalleysupply.com/about/ I stretch the tape lengthwise about two or three feet above the vines.  Twisting it a couple of times keeps it moving in the slightest breeze.  I don't put it up until the grapes start to ripen and take it down as soon as it is no longer needed.  I saw this tape being used in vineyards in Europe several years ago.

Raccoons and Opossums are another matter.  For them I use a fence charger strung on the grapevine posts.  This works well for me.  I have had the old battery operated charger for at least 15 years.