nafex - [NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?

  • From: "Thetes_Mark_Straka" <ling.mark@msa.hinet.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:42:32 -0700

Dear Group:

Thanks for the replies.  I enjoyed the one about the hawk on the fishing line, and have realized that I lack a knowledge of basic botany and its terminology.

Mr. Pittman:

My twenty acres are in Clay County, Arkansas, near the bootheel.  I appreciate your advice.  I have already joined the NNGA, have purchased some of the reference works from TPGA, have bought Mr. Sparks' book on cultivars, and have been doing much rewarding reading on the other sites you mentioned.  Ninety percent of these works don't get overly technical.  Still, when I hit words like "orthotropic" or "schlerenchyma," it's like I hit a brick wall.  I never studied Latin, or biology, or botany, or entomology, or horticulture per se--that's the problem.  Rather than buy a lot of books and scour through them, I'd like to know how others like myself have dealt with this impasse.  Is there a nice botanical dictionary in existence? Ironically, I am an English teacher, soon to retire.  I am not intimidated by the terminology at all; I'm very interested in learning them.  I would simply like to find a resource that contains all or most of these terms, defined and illustrated.  It seems that I should invest in a comprehensive botany text.  Will anyone make a suggestion?

And, for those who enjoy language for its own sake, when I was writing the subject of this mail, I was stumped by the word that denotes the opposite of "decoy:" a thing like a decoy the purpose of which is to repel rather than attract.  "Repellant?"  That seems to denote a chemical.   What's the proper English word for a "scare-crow?"  Just curious.

Thanks again,
Arkansas Mark

Message: 4