nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:19:17 -0500

At 08:37 AM 7/27/2004 -0700, Mark wrote:
I'm trying to read Fred Brison's Pecan Culture, but I'm having trouble getting through Chapter Two.  It is laced with vocabulary like: pericycle, acropetal, xylem, parenchyma, schlerenchyma, medullary ray tissue, abscission, sessile flowers, bract, apical dominance, perianth, peduncle, and I could go on.  I am in bad need of some reference work that will get me up to speed (hopefully illustrated!) and I'm soliciting recommendations right now.

You don't say where you're located, but I'd recommend visiting/joining:
Northern Nut Growers Association - http://www.northernnutgrowers.org - lots of information on pecans,  other nut species, and minor fruits(pawpaw/persimmon), as well as a good lending library you can access for more info.
TX Pecan Growers Association - http://www.tpga.org/ -  and TPGA's quarterly publication, 'Pecan South'; and there may be a state/regional pecan or nutgrowers association in your area that you should look into.

Dr. Darryl Sparks & Wes Rice each have what looks to be a good book on pecan culture - probably ought to give them a look

TAMU, NMSU, & OkSU all have some good online info on pecans, as does my alma mater, Auburn University.

ATTRA has some pecan info, including this - http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/pecan.html

Well, that ought to get you started.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6