nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scare Tactics and a Reference Book - Recommendations?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:39:41 -0400

Hello,

I have something that really confuses the birds and they keep away.

I built a hawk in flight, with it's legs and claws extended, painted the appropriate colors, and suspended it from fishing line over my grape arbor. The way it is set up, it bounces a bit, and swings in a large arc when the wing blows.

You cannot see the fishing line and it looks very odd, as if attacking the arbor.

Last season I saw a bird trying to fight with it.

Problem is, my wife liked it so much I left it up all this season and the birds now ignor it.

Put the scare devices up only as fruit begins to ripen. It only needs to work for 1-2 weeks and after harvest take them down. Never leave them long enough for the birds to figure out they ar fakes.

Later,
Tom