nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Plum Choices

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Plum Choices
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:51:34 -0400 (EDT)

I have read that Toka is a good pollinator.

Back in the 80's a NAFEX member told me of a Kahinta tree at a provincial
research station at Ste.-Anne-de-la-Pocatiere, Quebec, on the south shore
of the Gulf of St. Lawrence about halfway between Quebec City and the
mouth of the Saguenay river, in Agriculture Canada zone 4a near 4b.

He said that Kahinta took 8 years to come into full bearing; also that
it was extremely well regarded for quality in that area.

I have been told that the Agriculture Canada bred (at Ottawa) Prunus
salicina cultivar Vanier takes some years to come into full bearing; that
it starts around 4 or 5 years but doesn't become fully productive for its
size until around 8 years.

I suspect that the cultivar referred to as "Pittsen #2" is probably
Ptitsin #2. The Ptitsin series is P. salicina bred from seed sent to
Prairie Canada by the director of a research station at Harbin,
Manchuria in (if I remember rightly) the 1930's. Brookgold and Brookred
are later cultivars in this line.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

  • [NAFEX] Re: Plum Choices, dwoodard, 07/30/2004