nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: chestnuts

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: chestnuts
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:18:54 -0400

Tom

 Are you thinking of the Siberian Elm? I use it to graft the Camperdwon Elm to.

Gordon C. Nofs

Flint, MI.

From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
To: breen@fedcoseeds.com,North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:21:07 -0400

Heron Breen wrote:

><snip> Thanks Rob, I like what you are saying here. Just to Keep
>Hope Alive, can anyone dig up an example where human breeding
>endeavors restored an endangered wild tree or other plant population
>to breeding levels and successful repopulation? <snip>

Hi,

How about the good old elm tree? In Ontario we are in the midst of an elm recovery.

It appears that certain elms had some immunity to dutch elm disease, but were so distant from one another they could not pollinate each other. Now that trees are being found, the elm can be recovered.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/arboretum/SpProjects/Elm_Recover1.htm

There is always hope for the chestnut, for those dedicated to saving it.

Later,
Tom

Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a friend and enter to win a trip to NY