nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: chestnuts

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: chestnuts
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:29:08 -0500

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:56 , 'Gene Spears' <Spears@LMC.edu> sent:
Gene, I have a few questions if you have a moment:

> The goal of the breeding program is to develop a resistant tree that
> has the
growth characteristics of the American Chestnut, that can be reintroduced to
the
eastern forests.

Q1- Does each region have to breed its own resistant chestnuts or will the
results of the VA project be useful from Maine to Wisconsin? What are the
theories on this? Are the Parent lines from many different regions already?
I am
asking due to the semi-hardiness of Chinese to Zone 5 and colder, depending on
the seedling and the native range of Chestnut. What would you define as the
native range of Amer. Chestnut? I have read different information in different
sources.
Heron Breen