nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apples tasted in Massachusetts rated

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apples tasted in Massachusetts rated
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:09:31 -0500

Mark:
The Sekai-ichi apples were available for tasting, and for purchase, and I
took home 4 Sekai-ichi . This apple, as grown in Massachusetts, has more
flavors than just sweet. Compared to the Gala, the Sekai-ichi has a
different sweet flavor. I do like a Tart Apple. I would rather eat a
Downing Tart than any sweet apple. I can enjoy a sweet apple, but it makes
me feel sick to eat one for very long, much like a Coca-Cola might appeal to
me but make me sick after a few sips. The Sekai-ichi is one of the few sweet
apples I've tasted that I like, however the best sweet apple I have ever
tasted, is the true McIntosh. The true McIntosh is rare even in New England.
Old-timers, my father being one of them, described the McIntosh they knew in
the 1920's as a purple apple with a dust on it, like a blue grape has a dust
on it. Grape is also the best way to describe the true Mc's flavor. So why
did the true Mc get replaced by the Marshall McIntosh? The orchardist who
grows the true Mc
says "whatever pest or disease that's out there, the true Mc will get it." A
very disease-vulnerable variety, it also matured somewhat early
[mid-September, if I remember correctly], and didn't seem to keep well. If
the true Mc had been on the table, and it wouldn't have been on November 2, I
am sure it would have taken four stars, then there would have been two apples
receiving four stars, the only one that did was Westfield-Seek-No-Further.
The true Mc and Westfield-Seek-No-Further are both soft, easy to eat apples.

You mentioned the Sekai-ichi is from a cross between Red Delicious x and
Golden Delicious...if an apple with the extra-large size and high eating
quality from a cross of two decidedly mediocre apples such as Red Delicious
and Golden Delicious, imagine what quality apples could have been bred if the
publicly-financed breeding programs had started to breed from apples of the
superb quality as the Westfield-Seek-No-Further and the true McIntosh???

And kids today only want to eat french fries and drink sodas....couldn't have
anything to do with the quality of the fruit offered, could it? When is our
society going to reward farmers when farmers increase the quality of health
in the population by providing superior wholesome foods?

Charlie Paradise
zone 5...or maybe 6....Massachusetts