nafex - RE: [NAFEX] apple borers

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] apple borers
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 12:44:31 +0000

Since my orchard is also 6 years old you got me wondering - so I went to Google, clicked on 'Images' and typed in - Apple Borers
here is the url
http://images.google.com/images?q=apple+borer&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=ISO-8859-1&start=0&sa=N
there is one fair picture of an infected tree
I have window screen but no foam collars, how do you hold the collars in place?
Yesterday was apple and pear grafting day, too much fun, Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

As a beginning apple grower in New England, with a small orchard of
&gt;dwarf trees, what do I need to know about apple borers? I have put
&gt;up window screen cylinders with foam collars to keep borers out, and
&gt;I am willing to scout the trees regularly. However, I don't know
&gt;how big a hole I should be looking for. Any one have any
&gt;recommendations for how to deter and how to recognize borer damage
&gt;in apples?

Getting married? Find tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married