nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Anita Fig

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Anita Fig
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:22:51 -0500

Does this NJ fig have any unique characteristics, such as the ability to
overwinter in the garden. Do the leaves or fruit look different than
more common varieties?

Mark, the location was up against the house on the souwest side. The folks
who had it wrapped it every fall so the combo of its roots being able to
winter under the foundation plus it being wrapped probably had more to do
with it surviving than the type of fig.
The characteristics matched closely those of the Celeste or Sal's but I
can't be certain.
The substances leached from foundations (lime?) seem to make my figs
survive or else heat sump mass of the bricks/concrete are beneficial. I
suspect both.
I have an unknown fig which is already sprouting breba figs about 1/4" in
diameter.
Strange thing is that they are only on a branch which extends under my open
breezeway. This branch has produced the largest figs for the last two years
and even though I get complaints from other members of the house and
visitors, I stubbornly resist pruning it. There is a lesson here but I
can't figure it out. It gets less sun and isn't protected from cold more
than any other part of the tree. It is acting like it wants to be in the
shade or wants to be near people traffic. It does get pushed out of the way
often so maybe moving it stimulates something. I've heard that
moving/beating does help trees produce better/earlier, etc.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8