nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: Anita Fig

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: Anita Fig
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:32:09 -0800

Doc writes...
"I have an unknown fig which is already sprouting breba figs about 1/4"
in
diameter. Strange thing is that they are only on a branch which extends
under my open breezeway...It is acting like it wants to be in the
shade."

Doc,
While I was designing passive solar features into my house, an engineer
explained thermal radiation this way... everything you can see is either
radiating energy towards you or it is taking energy away from you. If a
fig tree has a direct shot to the night sky, it will be radiating what
little thermal energy it has to the sky. If it is in a covered space,
like your breezeway, it will keep more of its energy. I wonder if what
you are experiencing has more to do with protection from the big heat
sink of the night sky than with being shaded from direct sunlight. In
Seattle, the whole city is covered most nights by blanket called
scattered clouds.
-Mark Lee, Seattle