nafex - [NAFEX] Fruit planting prep methods

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fruit planting prep methods
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:50:04 -0500

Tom wrote:
Has anyone tried solarizing the soil as a way of killing off grass, weeds,
etc. before planting dwarf fruit trees, blueberries or various cane fruit?
I am in zone 5 near Lansing, MI.

Did not solarize due to my perception (wrongly?) that soil microbes at
surface negatively impacted. We converted lawn to blueberry and raspberry
beds by sheet composting about 8" thick with ground poplar, oak and hickory
stumps, or 12" oak leaves. Left sit an entire season for breakdown of wood
chips, and any hickory toxins, and planted in blueberries. Killed off all
weeds but older dandelions.
This method doesn't work as well for running plants such as crownvetch or
bindweed. Here we've used big pieces of carpet for a season. Gets rid of
the vetch, but bindweed still finds the edges.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East Tenn
20F last night after multiple days in 60s.

---