nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:27:50 -0500

Erdman, Jim wrote:

Never did get any specific recommendations about varieties to try to grow for wood. We need to replant some trees in some fields that we have replanted to trees for timber,

I think we got distracted by issues of color of wood, grain, strength, etc. I think that if I were to plant apple for *timber* I would focus on rapid growth rate and good form, i.e. sparce branching. Resistance to canker is also an issue.

I think I would stick to triploids. In my experience the vigorous diploids (like Northern Spy) tend to branch heavily. I have grown Spigold and think it would be a dandy timber tree. The relatively light crops of fruit taste excellent as well. Winterhardiness might be an issue for you. Gravenstein and Ribston Pippen are triploids and are supposed to be easy growers and hardy but I have not personally grown them. Mutsu/Crispen grows like a house-a-fire but I have lost a few to canker.

and I thought it would be good to grow something other than maple, oak, walnut, butternut, etc., especially as my son likes to carve spoons, turn bowls, etc., and he finds that apple, lilac, and plum give nice results.

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel