nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:26:16 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood
I was mostly asking about variations in wood hardness among apple varieties and species.  From the comments, and my own experience, it sounds like crab apples might be the ones to check for hardness.  I mentioned that Liberty was noticeably harder than Holstein, and Liberty gets it's scab resistance from a crab, Malus floribunda.  I also have a red flesh crab with the red wood mentioned, and it too has very hard wood.
   As to planting apple trees for wood, I would think you'd be ahead of  the game to grow them in a nursery row and select only the most vigorous, which might help insure that you get larger, faster growing trees since you want them for wood.
-Lon Rombough

A while ago I asked this list and also a woodworking
related list about varieties of apple and other
fruitwoods that would be worth growing for the wood, and most
of the answers that I got ignored my actual question,
but instead lectured me on marginally related topics.
Never did get any specific recommendations about
varieties to try to grow for wood.  We need to replant some
trees in some fields that we have replanted to trees
for timber, and I thought it would be good to grow
something other than maple, oak, walnut, butternut, etc.,
especially as my son likes to carve spoons, turn
bowls, etc.,  and he finds that apple, lilac, and plum give
nice results.  When friends need a tree removed for
any reason, we hope that they give him a call first, and
he usually rewards them with something made from the
tree he takes out.
We will be planting "generic" apple seedlings,
whatever comes up from last years fall plantings of seeds.