nafex - [NAFEX] Curly Ash.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Curly Ash.
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:12:54 EST

Scott Weber wrote:

I have used other species destined for the wood stove to make spoons, including a piece of curly ash I found in a pile of firewood.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you Scott for making telling that.

In the past I have ran into curly ash twice. Ash splits easily and have done it often because our home is mostly heated with wood. Wood seems to be a warmer heat then oil or gas. It makes no logical sense, but I've had others say the same thing. Anyway, it is much much harder to split curly ash than straight ash.

Wooden baseball bats are made from ash. Bats often break when batting. Get where I'm headed?  Does the bat industry use curly ash? Is there a steady source? In talking with a member of the US Forestry Service doing research on figured walnut he said he knows of no curly ash being propagated. That might not only make stronger bats, but more beautiful because of the graining. Curly walnut logs bring much higher prices when they can find it.

The US Forestry Service is doing research on curly figured walnut, maple and other trees. There is interest in this subject by some members of the Northern Nut Growers and state organizations such as the Indiana Nut Growers Assoc. If anyone finds a live curly ash the forestry service at Purdue Univ. would like scion wood, so would I as well as others.

If anyone should cut down an ash and discover it has curly grain please contact me and cut scion or bud wood and get it into cold storage.

Jerry Lehman
7780 Persimmon St.
Terre Haute, IN 47802-4994

812-298-8733

  • [NAFEX] Curly Ash., Jwlehman, 02/21/2004