nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Apple wood

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art@complum.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Apple wood
  • Date: 23 Feb 2004 07:54:12 -0600

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 20:19, Erdman, Jim wrote:
> My question has been, "what varieties of (apple, pear, apricot, etc,
> etc) should I grow for the best (fastest, clearest, finest grain, etc)
> timber results. If I seriously want to plant black walnut, for

I have one honey pear growing on the farm from an orchard planted
somewhere between 1920 and 1950. The fruit is about an inch to inch and
a half in diameter, even though it needs thinning badly. I assume that
this is a "crab apple" version of a European pear.

The trunk is nice and straight with only one flaw, a furrow on one side
from soil to the first limb. Otherwise, the bark is smooth and
unblemished. It has a strong central trunk, and if it had been pruned
properly, would have produced a nice saw log.
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa, USA