nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tree suggestions

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tree suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:04:16 -0500

Mike,
Last year [2003] I began planting things onto extremely wet soil [e.g. a
shovel stuck in produces a sucking
sound and a hole dug 2' deep fills with water in 10 minutes]. The land would
probably most profitably be
turned into a cranberry bog.

Anyway, I started planting various things on it, just to see what would stick:
Bud-118 apple rootstock - just surviving
Prunus Salicina - dead or barely alive
Pear seedlings - dead
Prunus INSITITIA - the only plant that is thriving and seem to be happy with
an excessive amount of water
available.

But these are only based on 1 year's observation. The prunus institia if
thriving continues will probably be
grafted with a prune, or damson plum.
Charlie Paradise
zone 5/Massachusetts