nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tree suggestions

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art@complum.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tree suggestions
  • Date: 21 Feb 2004 19:31:57 -0600

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 16:32, Michael D. Bathrick wrote:
> Finally, I have purchased enough land to plant a small orchard (about an
> acre). Only problem is that there is a small spring on the property,
> and I am told the water table is quite high. I walked the property in
> October, and didn't notice it as being swampy.

I have a lot of springs on my farm in Eastern Iowa. I am in the Iowa
clay bluffs a few miles from the Iowa River. Here, springs tend to come
out on the lower end of a spur of a hill. As I understand it, it's
leaking between the layers of clay.

If you can figure out where it's coming out, you may be able to tile it
in a direction that isn't damaging to the trees. I suspect that the next
couple months would be a good time to check on it. Are there tiling
contractors in New York state? They would have some good suggestions.

In all honesty, most spring openings are not apparent readily. I have
one spring that I can definitely place the origin. That is not counting
the spring that started when I dug a posthole! I had to use all gravel
to tamp that post in!
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa, USA