nafex - [NAFEX] Prunus americana

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Prunus americana
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:33:19 +0000 (UTC)

I am on the verge of submitting a major grant proposal for an experimental
orchard that would use Prunus americana as rootstock for a plum orchard.
Prunus americana is sold as a rootstock occasionally, so I assumed it
could take P. domestica (european) grafts, but a few people this past week
have suggested that it's only for grafting american plums (beach plum,
chicksaw, etc.) which is not whayt I'm writing a grant for.

Does anyone have experience with P. americana as a rootstock for grafting
cultivated varieties *of any kind* that could chime in with experience?
Would greatly appreciate it.

John Bunker, thanks for presenting the pollenation problem with plums so
clearly and *concisely*! Very helpful.

Robert Scott
Urbana Permaculture Project
Urbana, IL zone 5b